Monday, June 14, 2010

Coach Wooden on Industriousness



Coach Wooden defined his first Building Block of his "Pyramid of Success," Industriousness (or Hard Work), as having two components - work and planning.

"There is no substitute for hard work. If we only put out a minimum effort we might get by in some situations, but in the long run we won't fully develop the talents that lie within us."

"During my tenure in Westwood, I never took an extended break after the season was over...I would begin research on some aspect of the sport. I would talk with other coaches, read books and examine every angle...My research would last for the entire off-season."

This passion that Coach Wooden had is one that I have truly learned to value. I love the preparation of a season and talking with other coaches and learning from them. Not enough value is placed on learning new aspects of the game, particularly by younger coaches. Everyone should be willing to share their knowledge for the betterment of the game and for kids!

"Good planning and hard work lead to prosperity, but hasty shortcuts lead to poverty (Proverbs 21:5).

No comments:

Post a Comment