Friday, May 7, 2010

Coach Knight Clinic Thoughts



Be sure this won't be the last posting I have of Bob Knight "stuff". I often get a hard time of being too big of a Coach Knight fan. What can I say? I grew up in Indiana in the 1980s. I have a lot of things to share from when I took Coach Knight's class at IU but I will give you some things he touched upon at the Nike Clinic last week in Vegas...

Coach Knight had two rules for his players on practicing on their own:
1) Never have a girlfriend that won't rebound for you.
2) Always have a manager or another player shoot with you ("No free shooting").

Drills
1) Individual drills no longer than 5 minutes
2) Team drills no longer than 10 minutes

Coach Knight emphasized that the third phase of basketball, conversion, is just as important as offense and defense.

Free throws are the most underappreciated weapon in the game.
- Make it to the bonus(es) before your opponent does.
- Make more free throws than your opponent attempts.

"Anything you can do to make your kids think is of prime importance."

"You must pass, cut, and screen every day in practice if you're going to play against man-to-man defense."

When screening, hold your wrist with your opposite hand. This prevents your elbows from extending out and creating a foul.

No comments:

Post a Comment